Software Development Pricing
Campbell Custom Software provides software development services using four types of pricing / price models.
Hire a Software Team for the Same Price as One Developer
Team Based Pricing (from $6k USD per month)
- Team based budgeted pricing is a popular pricing model. The concept is simple: Hire a team of developers who have a specific layer and related technology expertise for a flat rate per month. By utilizing 3 or 4 developers who each focus on certain development aspects of the project, higher quality code is developed faster.
- Today, in the fast advancing software development environment, a single developer can no longer be competent in all development layers and technologies. Each development layer is actually a separate career. For example, the Data Layer is completely different than the UI layer. Technologies for these two layers is also completely different. Each of these layers requires different education, security and performance knowledge. By engaging a team, specifically selected for your project, developers code faster due to their expert retained knowledge. This approach also ensures separation on concerns, it drastically reduces maintenance costs (by 40%) while also ensuring optimal security and performance. The fact is, code drips from a developer’s fingertips who types from retained knowledge gained from years of technology focused experience.
- Team based pricing is available for as little as $6k USD per month. The team can be dynamically increased or reduced when required. This is important, as every project has peaks and dormant development periods.
- The team based pricing model requires slightly more project management than compared to hiring a single developer. However, Campbell Software provides this service at no additional cost. With Campbell Software, you can actually hire multiple teams, with each team separately working on a specific requirement, without additional effort or inuring added project management costs.
- A key point of the Team Based Pricing model is that is can NEVER be over budget since the client determines sets the monthly budget.
- Just tell us what your monthly budget is. After identifying technology stack requirements, domain knowledge and experience, we will hand select a custom team for you, all for a flat rate per month.
Flat Rate Quote Pricing (Guaranteed Price)
- The Flat Rate quote model is an optimal choice when software development business requirements are formally defined. For this, Campbell Software will provide you with a formal guaranteed flat rate quote.
- This process usually requires a mutual NDA to be signed prior to Campbell Software receiving the requirements.
- Next, a few discussions with the client will occur, usually to clarify certain items, determine the optimal technology to utilize for specific tasks (if not defined), identify potential missing logic, etc.
- Upon completing the review phase, Campbell Software will provide a formal quote, breaking the estimate down into software development tasks. Each development task will separately detail timeline and flat rate cost.
- For these types of quotes (provided at no cost), Campbell Software guarantees the quote to be within 15% (if costs are more, we eat the cost).
- Unforeseen Change requests (additions or changes to the requirements) occasionally occur after the quote has been accepted and work has commenced. A Change request covers this off, each CR is added and costed as a sub-task (relative to the associated task). Of course, if the change is minor, we try to absorb the change without impacting the original quote.
- Milestones are commonly defined for Flat Rate Pricing Quotes. For example, the overall project may be assigned one or more Milestones. When a Milestone is met and accepted by the client, a Milestone payment is made. Upon receipt of payment, work commences on the next Milestone.
Hourly Pricing (from $25 USD per hour)
- The Hourly Pricing model is efficient for RAD and SPRINT type development. Same for POC’s (Proof of Concepts) or MVP’s (Minimum Viable Product projects). It is similar to the Team Based Pricing model, but more dynamic, without a monthly budget commitment.
- For each development task, like Flat Rate or Team Based project models, an estimate (hours and cost) is provided for each software development task. Due to the dynamic of RAD and SPRINT type effort (ever changing), the estimate is probable, but not guaranteed to be within 15%. Upon financial acceptance of each task by the client, work is performed. In most cases, we hit within 15%, but for this model, we cannot provide a guarantee.
- The only downside to this model is when a large amount of new work is immediately required (as our developers may already be working on other projects). At Campbell Software, we employ real people, we must manage our resources and as such, we need to book them on projects. Sometimes, there may be a short delay before work can commence.
- The hourly rate varies, depending upon the technology layer, domain and overall experience required. For example, a QA Testing developer’s rate is lower than a native iOS developer with 10 years of experience. Or an Enterprise Class Oil & Gas domain specialist with integration API knowledge is costlier than a generic Web application developer. As such, the hourly price will vary per development resource.
- Regardless, the hourly rate pricing model works well without requiring a minimum monthly stipend or a milestone based commitment.
- Payment terms for this pricing model is twice per month, meaning that after we perform half a month of work, we invoice the client. The client has two weeks to remit payment. In essence, we are actually providing 15 to 30 days of financing to the client. That’s a lot better than Upwork where you must pay weekly after one week of work.
- Since each project is unique, call us. Let us help you determine the technical skills required, the domain experience required and the overall experience which enables us to provide the resources required, each at a separate, agreed to rate.
Monthly Developer Flat Rate Pricing
- The Monthly Developer Pricing model guarantees 176 hours of work will be performed by one single developer
- It is similar to hiring your own employee, but without the added costs of benefits, holiday time off, time consumed by staff meetings and lunches. You pay ONLY for work, when the developer is working.
- Rates vary based upon experience related to a specific technology. For example, maybe you need a legacy COBOL developer which cannot be sourced from your area. We can do that.
- Or maybe you need a part-timer. We can do that.
- For this pricing model, we source the developer, we contract the developer and we guarantee the developer has the skill sets required due to our insane ability to assess technology skills.
- This pricing model is great for smaller, short term projects (30 to 60 days).
- The convenience factor for the client is excellent, we get the right person, we provide them to you for a flat rate per month.
- The only downside to this model is that the developer may not be located in your timezone. Hey, sometimes it is hard to find an expert in your area. However, since we manage the developer, no worries, we take 100% of the responsibility to manage the developer, communicate feedback, monitor effort, review source code check-ins, etc. This model is like hiring using a placement agency, without an agency fee, while we also manage the developer.
Included with All Pricing Models
- Developer Project Management
- Secure, Private Web Based Staging System
- Secure, Private FTP (if required)
- Secure, Private Database Staging (sanitized data)
- Secure, Private Online Project Portal (key team members and stakeholders)
- Various levels of security and privacy provided (defined per member)
- Retains Signed Agreements
- Submit, Share and Update Requirements Definitions
- Define Software Development Tasks
- Provides Task Budgeting and Estimating
- Tasks Completed & Tasks Pending Lists
- Change Request Management
- Comment System
- File System (Post any types of Attachments)
- Hours Worked / Time Tracking and Reporting System
- % Complete, % to Budget Status Reporting, with GANTT Charting
- Rates, Effort and Invoice Integration
- Milestone Definitions and Confirmations
- Integrated Communication & Messaging
- Review past Meeting Recordings anytime
- Meeting Scheduling
- Deliverable Confirmation Recordings
- Progress Meetings:
- Recorded Meetings
- Virtual GOTO Meetings
- Secure, Private Source Code Repository (via our Team Foundation Server)
- Repository Download
- Version Release Tags and Branching
- Deliverable Recordings (Proof of Delivery)
Infrastructure Services we also provide at NO Additional Cost
- Development Environment Backups – All development environment services used by developers are backed daily to SSD storage. From there, SSD storage is backed up to tape. And from there, tapes are backed up to offsite storage (a separately owned facility). This ensures all of our effort is securely and safely backed up.
- Staging Environment Backups – All staging systems are backed daily to SSD storage. From there, SSD storage is backed up to tape. And from there, tapes are backed up to offsite storage (a separately owned facility). This ensures that staging systems we provide at no additional cost to you are always available.
- Security – Since we have been contracted by organizations like Amazon, Verizon, Hitachi and others, we have many layers of Enterprise Class security that were demanded by them and are by default, included for any client regardless of size. We have Active Directory Security, Commercial Firewall Security (Commercial CISCO hardware), Network Switch security, Server AV security (Symantec Cloud), e-mail Security (Barracuda), TFS security, Network Port Probing Security, Automated BOT security and an FTP Honeypot (to attract and prohibit flies).
- Our power is cleaned using commercial hardware (spike prevention and capacitor driven) to protect our hardware, with UPS Power backup and Diesel Backup.
- An internal Policy dictates personal use of our commercial system is prohibited (a firing offense). However, developers may utilize our separate personal DMZ network for personal use. This ensures separation of commercial and personal use.
Finally, perhaps you have an Enterprise project where you need the best of the best. Maybe for just a project review. Or A deep dive into Architecture Planning. Or just a day for feedback. Dino, Gus and other Campbell Custom Software Development VP’s can be contracted to assist you. For Dino (author of 20+ software development books and 1000’s of MSDN software articles) and Gus (ASPInsider), the rate is the usual industry standard of $1200 USD per day.
For all of the pricing business models, Campbell Custom Software Development promises to build higher quality software faster, for less. Give us a try.